The most important point for a leader in a multinational company is how the management is able to harmonize between individualism and collectivism points of view in order to achieve high productivity.
According to Muna (2006), there are seven roles that global leaders must play:
1. Leaders have a responsibility for preparing and selecting human resources, taking care of them, and developing them.
2. Leaders must be able to work in a team, wise in delegating and empowering, and helping each other when their subordinates and colleagues are in trouble.
3. Leaders have excellent versatility as they may create the company’s long-term value.
4. Leaders must know how to give direction towards goals that must be achieved.
5. Leaders must possess global mindset, have a broad point of view, be aware of cultural differences, and be able to handle different consumer preferences.
6. Leaders must have an ability to negotiate with different customers, clients, suppliers, government officials, etc.
7. Leaders must be able to handle multiple tasks and to balance work, family, and personal life. Besides, there are alternative improvements that could develop the relationship between headquarters and subsidiaries.
Do organizations follow these basic principles. Its worth evaluating the options!!
Reference: Muna, A. F. (2006). Seven leadership roles. International Journal of Commerce and Management 16 (1): 51-57.